Sunday 22 December 2013

Metal Stamping: Testing The Waters

I know I'm probably 5 years too late to this trend but d a m n it's so addictive. Not only that but it;'s fairly simple and has none of the tedious processes that many other crafts have. It's almost literally just BAM BAM BAM and voila you have a new piece of jewelry now wear it and show it off to the world like the BAMF you are. 

After months of anticipation I finally ordered and received my metal stamps and flat wire. So of course, I got to work straight away.

My two passions are craft and TV shows can you tell. 
With the aid of a multitude of TV shows and movies, I stamped out these over the course of two days though that timing could have been condensed into one if I hadn't gone out because it's really that simple and that quick. The only drawback of metal stamping? I can't do it past 10pm unless I want to get angry neighbours at my door. 

Rings featuring the homes of superwholock 
So i decided to start off small with rings and unsurprisingly, I managed to make a separate mistake for each and everyone of them. It's fairly obvious that the 221B ring was my first one with the double impression of half the characters (and I still couldn't properly get the impression of the B despite that. I amaze myself sometimes). Then there's the TARDIS ring where I somehow stamped the 'I' into the edge of the D. Lastly, there's my KAZ 2Y5 ring that features a 'Y' that is seemingly being abducted my aliens

Of course, I still love each and every one of them despite the flaws the same way a mother would love her psychopathic serial killer child. Or maybe that wasn't the best analogy but you get the point. And anyway, these were  my first tries so you know I think I get a pass for that. 

Please excuse the lack of theme in my pictures, I wasn't planning a blog post and was playing around with my newly made lightbox
It has been pointed out to me by lexicalsanctuary (bless her heart) that I had made a terrible mistake with the quote on the firefly cuff. This of course means I am a disgrace to the fandom and have to go into hiding for at least a month. 
After the rings, I made the logical progression to cuffs. They seemed somewhat daunting initially because they all have much longer phrases ie more stamping but I think they turned out pretty okay aside from a few letters. 

Oddly enough, my quality seemed inversely proportional to the number of bracelets I made. Despite being my first cuff, 'Never Laugh At Live Dragons' seems to have the least flubs. My last cuff was 'Eat The Rude' that not only has inconsistent spacing but also slanted letters. Hm. How curious. 

Despite the fact that I am apparently shit at metal stamping, I actually really really love it. It's simple, easy, and the results are actually pretty great. As an added bonus, I also get to fashionably (I hope) show off my fandoms which I always love. 

okthatsallthankyoubye. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm...Comment posted twice and then deleted itself...Lets try that again. If you do more Firefly quotes in the future, it's actually "I'm a leaf ON the wind." Seems small but it's an important quote to the fandom. The stampings look really cool though. The "wobbles" add more interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh I can't believe I made that mistake. I have shamed myself. I do agree though, it does make a huge difference. Thank you for pointing it out! I'll probably redo that cuff - don't want to further embarrass myself by wearing an inaccurate quote.

      Thank you for your comment :) The wobbles do grow on you don't they

      Delete